Why does eye become blood red, splotched? Correlates to lack of sleep. What is wrong?

Occasionally over the past several years (i am 43, male), I notice that my right eye gets blood shot ..pretty much the whole white part of the eye become splotched with red and pink..very noticeable to anyone always seemed to correlate with a very short, or significant lack of, the most recent case, i took the long flight from se asia to the US over a 24 hr period where i slept maybe one hour and didnt sleep much the night before i left of the night i more or less three days with maybe 6 hours naturally, for me, my right eye was blood shot..however, unlike in the past, it never went away..meaning this was about 2 months ago and it s still wife and mother tell me to see a doctor, but i don t have insurance and so of course i want to put it off..i have no other symptoms, i.e. no pain of blurred or decreased vision ..yet the redness has not ceased even for a moment..any thoughts?
Asked On : Mon, 2 Jul 2012