Why does child break into screams after crying? What can solve that?

I have a 4yo granddaughter who is causing me some concern. Whenever she does anything wrong, she is told off and then cries which of course is perfectly normal but after 20 seconds or so the crying develops into screams lasting around 5 or more minutes. Her mother says it comes and goes and just leaves her daughter to cry until she finally stops although her father, my son, tells his daughter to stop and almost immediately she does! I believe something may be wrong but am at a loss to know exactly what. Is it possible she has some mental disorder or is highly strung and probably needs medication to calm her down? Your advice would be welcome.
Asked On : Thu, 20 Sep 2012
Pediatrician, Neonatology 's  Response
crying developing into screams is rather strange!!-
usually what happens after crying, the child goes into breath holding spells(holding breath and becoming quiet) which is frightening to the care taker.
This may be apart of attention seeking or stubborn behavior .
If the child is otherwise normal and intelligent, one can wait and watch and what is being done is by parents is ok.