Why do people check pulses in other places except the heart?

Why do people check pulses in other places except the heart? I mean your heart is on your chest and you can feel the pulse there the most because the heart IS there but I see people checking it on other complex places that not even I can get a clear reading on my own pulse.
Asked On : Tue, 15 Dec 2009
Not to mention that it is an insult to a patients dignity, or even a apparent sexual assault, palpating the pulse on the chest wall can be very difficult especially in the obese. It is very rare not to be able to feel the radial pulse easily, even in someone who is overweight and of course it is also readily accessible without even disturbing clothing.