Why do diabetics have to check their feet??

I have type 1 diabetes and all the doctors and books tell me to keep care of my feet. Why is this?
Asked On : Sat, 19 Dec 2009
  Anonymous's Response

Because of peripheral neuropathy. You should check your feet because you'll begin developing neuropathy, if you haven't already, which means that you'll lose sensations in your feet. This loss of sensation makes it very easy to get cuts that go unnoticed, and if your doctor hasn't told you yet, diabetics stand the highest risk for amputation of extremities (fingers, toes, etc.) due to this one reason.