Why do I quench my teeth all day?

why do I quench my teeth all day
Asked On : Thu, 5 Aug 2010
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for choosing HCM,

Quenching teeth is medically termed as bruxism..

Its mainly related to the stress,anxiety,bad dreams.etc...

Do you quench vigorously in a particular moment?

If its related to the above mentioned then you have to decrease the stress..but it may be due to other various malocclusion..

Consult with Dentist for whole mouth check-up...

Don't neglect this...bruxism can lead to temporomandibular joint problem...

Get your proper treatment done...

Wish you good health...

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
When teeth grinding occurs on a regular basis the teeth can be damaged and other oral health complications can arise.
Various causes are:- Anxiety, stress or tension, Suppressed anger or frustration, Aggressive, competitive or hyperactive personality type, Abnormal alignment of upper and lower teeth (malocclusion), Other sleep problems, Response to pain from an earache or teething (in children), Complication resulting from a disorder.
Avoid or cut back on foods and drinks that contain caffeine, such as colas, chocolate, and coffee, Avoid alcohol, Do not chew on pencils or pens or anything that is not food, Avoid chewing gum, Train yourself not to clench or grind your teeth. If you notice that you clench or grind during the day, position the tip of your tongue between your teeth. This practice trains your jaw muscles to relax, Relax your jaw muscles at night by holding a warm washcloth against your cheek in front of your earlobe.

Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Welcome to HCM
This is known as bruxism that means night grinding of teeth.
It occurs due to following reasons:-
-TMJ disorder
You need to visit dentist & get proper examination done.

Take Care

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Quenching of teeth is medically termed as BRUXISM.
It occurs due to many causes like stress, anxiety, bad dreams at night.
It causes various disoders like TMJ disorders, muscular pain, wear off of the tooth surface, sensitivity, muscle spasm.
I would suggest you to rule out the cause and treat accordingly, in any stress can consult to an psychiatrist, avoid stress and anxiety.
Visit to the Dentist and get the checkup done, use of an dental appliance known as NIGHT GUARDS is required.
If tooth are wear off then get it restored.
Maintain a good oral hygiene.

Hope this helps out,

Dentist, Orthodontics Dr. Mrunal Meshram's  Response
hi there
thank you for sharing your concern in HCM forum
the problem you have mentioned is due to condition called bruxism
cause can be psychological or mal alignment of teeth
visit a dentist to identify the cause, delay can result in TMJ (termperomandiblar joint) problem

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

Quenching of teeth occurs due to-altered occlusion or crossbite,bruxism,mouthbreathing habits.

I would advice you to visit a dentist and get a thorough check-up done.

Habit breaking appliances has to be used to prevent such habit.

Meanwhile,get orthodontic treatment done to correct the altered occlusion as well as bite.

Hope this helps.

Dentist Dr. Yogesh Tripathi's  Response
clinching of teeth may be due to various factors which include gingivitis,bruxism,psychological troubles etc etc
now to find out the exact cause you would need to pay a visit to your dentist
if its gingivitis you would need to go through scaling procedure
if its bruxism than you may have to wear night guards or may have to go through orthodontic treatment
bruxism may be even related to stress /anxiety ,so if thats the case you may even need to get a consultation from a psychologist
in the mean while,i would also like to tell that most common cause is gingivitis and you can do the following to subside the symptoms
1.luke warm saline rinses 4-6 times daily
2.gum astringents like oracep ,take a drop of astingent on your clean index finger tip and gently massage the gums after every rinse
if the condition appears to subside by this than the only thing you would need is a proper scaling and and than maintaining proper oral hygiene
hope that helps

3 users find this helpful

Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Clenching of teeth shows that either you are in stress or your teeth are maligned.

In either cases, you must see your orthodontist,so that upon clinical evaluation exact diagnosis can be made.

Also, there is nothing to worry about this, there are many habit breaking appliances available,which can be suggested upon exact diagnosis.

Therefore please see your specialist soon.

Avoid all sorts of stress and practice meditation for at least few minutes per day.

Hope it helps.

Dentist, Endodontics Dr. Manisha Rao's  Response
Hi, The problem may be due to malalignment of your jaws and/or your teeth. It may also be neuromuscular or psychological. Please consult your dental surgeon who will examine and determine the cause of your condition. If the condition is due to malalignment, a TMJ appliance and a dental splint may help. Take care!

Dentist Dr. E. Bharathikannan's  Response
you may have the problem known as bruxism. it may be due to various reasons pshycological or pathological. soon visit a dentist and get ur problem solved or it may lead to severe dental and tmj problems.. take care..