Why do I have a white raised patch on the back of my tongue ?

I dipped tobacco for just under 4 months, maybe right at 4 months, and I ve quit cold turkey, and feel good about it. I smoked inconstinately(spelling) for over 2 years, but could hardly ever finish a pack. But I noticed this bump towards the distal part of my tongue from the tip, just in front of my taste buds. I m able to scrape it, it doesn t bleed. My tongue had this white coating which has almost been resolved by drinking water. I m also 21 years old, and am going to go to the doctors to have it looked at, for the piece of mind. The bump and the patch looks sort of tannish. Any idea what this could be, and the odds associated with it?
Asked On : Sat, 21 May 2011