Why do I have a light brown discharge at the time of my periods

Hi last month I had brown discharge the same time as my period came, took a preg test and another one last week both negative. My period should be coming now and I am having the light brown discharge again instead of a period but am definitely not pregnant . The people at planned parenthood said it might just be a period but my periods are usually normal, never light with light brown discharge. what could this be?
Asked On : Wed, 23 Mar 2011
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
welcome to healthcaremagic
This may occur when you are ovulating/mid-cycle. Sometimes early in pregnancy you may have spotting or a brownish discharge at the time your period would normally come. If you have spotting at the time of your normal period rather than your usual amount of flow, and you have had sex without using birth control, you should check a pregnancy test.