Why do I feel a steel like sensation when my tongue rubs against the inner side of the lower lip ?

I am a 53 year old female. For the last year I have had a wierd sensation when my tongue rubs against the inside of my bottom lip. Feels like steel. I have asked my Dentist to check but when he does he says everything looks normal.
Asked On : Mon, 25 Apr 2011
Dentist 's  Response
Thanx for choosing HCM,

Your query is not clear to me because you have not given detail...

I think you feel something hard like steel inside your lower lip when you rub with your tongue..right?

If its so then might be some pathological leison has been developed...

Proper radiographic examination should be done...

If its not so then it can be psychological....

Hope this will help you...

Get well soon..

Regards....
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

Your mucosa of tongue/lips may be ulcerated resulting in steel like sensation.

I would advice you to apply mucopain gel on the affected site.

Maintain oral hygiene well.

Take vitamin becosules,iron supplements.

Gargle with lukewarm saline.

Hope this helps.

Dentist Dr. Yogesh Tripathi's  Response
hello thanks for choosing this site....there may 2 probable caises
1.check for your habits i.e.tobacco chewing etc .....as many persons have an habit of putting tobacco product (khaini) between lower teeth and and lips....which may lead to keratinization of that area ...and that gives a metal like feeling...if its like that than stop the habbit ...plus mix some turmeric powder with gum astringent and apply to the affected area for 4-5 times a day...plus take som antioxidant pill
2.if no known cause and still u feel that snsation than may be you can visit a psychatrist

3 users find this helpful

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

According to your clinical symptoms i suspect that you might have developed some oral lesion inside your oral cavity.
I would suggest you to visit the Dentist and get the checkup done, take an OPG radiograph.
Take lukewarm saline rinses 3-4 times.
Also get a complete physical evaluation done by the Dentist.

Take care!
Dentist Dr. Prachi Mishra's  Response
thanks for the query
if its when you rub your tongue against your lower lip, it can be an oral fibrotic lesion. do you find any white patch there or any other area in the oral cavity? get the lesion examined pathologically. you can visit dental schools that provide this facility for post graduate students, also confirm if you ever had any surgery involving plates in your jaw. also if you are taking some kind of medicines this sensation can be side effect of that. may be you are applying some kind of gel on your lower lip that gives you the steel like feeling.consult your general physician for further examination.............

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Dr. Manish Gupta's  Response
hello,
have you ever undergone any type of surgery involving placement of bone plates etc?
otherwise it can be due to some fibrotic lesion... better o an visit your dentist.
take care...
Dentist Dr. Indrani. S's  Response
hello,u told that u have wierd sensation when ur tongue is rubing against bottom of ur lips...iam suspecing of some oral lesion at the bottom of ur lips..my advice is to go forhistological examination...it is usually one in dental colleges...consult oral pathologist...if u have pain,then u can apply mucopain ointment...it will reduce pain when ur taking food....

Dentist Dr. Indrani. S's  Response
hello,u told that u have wierd sensation when ur tongue is rubing against bottom of ur lips...iam suspecing of some oral lesion at the bottom of ur lips..my advice is to go for histological examination...it is usually done in dental colleges...consult oral pathologist...if u have pain,then u can apply mucopain ointment...it will reduce pain when ur taking food....

Dentist Dr. Indrani. S's  Response