Why did I bleed heavily after period stopped. Why is it so heavy?

I stopped my period the middle of the day yesterday and in the middle of the night I woke up to blood gushing out. I walked to the restroom with a trail of blood behind me and then it stopped. I woke up the next morning and barely was anything. I did use a tampon and came to work. I was sitting at my desk and had the same feeling. Went into the restroom and blood was all over me. I am only 38. Not sure if I should be worried or not.
Asked On : Tue, 26 Jun 2012
Hello mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
In my opinion you are suffering from peri menopausal symptoms.
This irregularity of periods is commonly seen in this stage of life.
But you are getting disturbing symptoms which might be due to some other pathology related to uterus so get a pelvic ultrasound done along with thyroid hormone testing to see for any disease if present.
Till then you should
-increase water intake
-avoid excess caffeine and hot climate
- eat nuts and especially almonds and walnuts daily
- include soy proteins and tofu in your daily diet
- avoid stress and heavy exercise routine
In case you have further questions you can consult me on health care magic forum and i will be happy to help
Take care and wish you all the best.
Dr Manisha Jain.