Why cramps in groin muscle? Is it a spasm that happens after I stretch? What can help?

Hello, I have been getting these cramps in my groin muscle (from the crotch area all the way to my inner knee area). They are excruciatingly painful and last for several minutes before the muscle relaxes. It has been happening in the past week and more acutely 3 times in the past 24 hours. When it happens, it comes in waves of mind bending pulls of the muscle that make me want to scream . It will relax for a few seconds only to spasm tightly in a mind numbing jolt of pain that I try to stretch out. After a 3-5 minute bout, I am totally exhausted from the fight . I used to get these about 2-3 years ago, then they stopped. It recurred about a week ago. It usually happens when I am in bed. All told, it has happened 5 times in the past week and about 8-10 times 2-3 years ago. It has happened to both legs and sometimes at the same time, but usually it is one leg at a time. My diet hasn t changed and I have never heard or read about his type of thing before. What could this be?
Asked On : Sun, 7 Oct 2012