Why can't a person evacuate their bladder? Treated for UTI. Can it be connected?

My Mother is 79 years old. Recently she began complaining of inablility to evacuate her bladder first thing in the morning. She has tried peeing sitting and while standing in the shower but is unsuccessful. She said the only way she is able to pee is if she does so while lying down flat on her back. Once she goes then normal flow resumes. She was recently treated for a UTI , but a followup urinalysis indicated the infection has cleared. It may be of significance to mention that she is currently being treated for Diverticulits and is on FLagyl and Cipro so I really don t think it is a UTI. Any suggestions for what this may be or what she can do help relieve herself in the mornings.
Asked On : Sun, 19 Aug 2012