Why are my periods irregular with light brown discharge ?

This is my second month with an irregular period. Its coming at the same time as my normal period, just with light brown and dark brown discharge. I have already taken three pregnancy tests , three different times and they have all came out negative.
Asked On : Wed, 23 Mar 2011
If the brown periods are comming in time as expected, then they are quite regular. You need not take a pregnancy test every time just because they are brown, unless the periods are delayed by 7 to 10 days. When the quantity of bleed is lesser, there isnt enough of it to trickle down as fresh red blood. Instead it remains within the passage (being too less) and gets altered over few hours to the brown colour. It happen normally sometimes, and mostly reverts back to red periods over a few months. If it continues beyond 3 months you may need further testing.