Why am I spotting after normal duration of periods?

*Appreciated if the replier was a femaleTHANKS* Hi, I am 16 years old and there is something that worries me. I currently have my period but the strange thing is that I started my period on a Monday and my period is for 7 days. So the next Monday, I expected my period to be finished. However, I continued to bleed lightly (only using liners) and have brown discharge . It is now Saturday and it has been going on. I am extremely worried and I am not pregnant .
Asked On : Wed, 16 May 2012
hello and thank you for asking HCM,

I understand your concern since this problem is affecting your daily life and you have to wear liners for a longer period.
Brown discharge after period is not uncommon ant in most cases there is nothing to worry about. If you have spotting a couple of days after your period was supposed to end, it might just be leftover blood and your uterus is simply expelling old blood.
If the brown spotting and discharge turns a bright red or lasts more than three or four days, you should visit your gynecologist to find the exact reason. It could be anything from ovarian cysts to polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).

I hope this answer was helpful to you.