Why am I having changes in my periods with cramps while having intercourse after stopping taking Metformin ?

I am 33 yrs old and have always had irregular periods. Two years ago I began taking Metformin and a few months after stopping birth control my periods became very regular. Three months ago my flow while lasing around my normal 4 days became very light. Last month the flow lasted 15 days at times light but sometimes very heavy. My doctor s office suggested waiting to see what happend this month before becoming concerned. Well, I m now on day 12 of my flow and I thought it had stopped this morning. Then while having intercourse with my husband it started again and I m having light cramps. I plan to call my doctor tomorrow but does anyone have any suggestions of what might be causing my problems.
Asked On : Wed, 23 Feb 2011