Why am I having a lot of pain in my upper left arm ?

i have high cholestoral the bad cholestoral is at 5 but i am getting alot of pain in my upper left arm its not constant but has now been coming and going for abot 3 and a half months the pain is excrutiating and sometimes i cxant lift my arm my father died of a heart attack at 49 as did my uncle and my gran and auntie have had strokes
Asked On : Tue, 28 Jun 2011
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi well come toHCM
You have not mentioned your age neither neither sufffering like HBP, DM etc if uou have.How ever
you can submit for Ecg, TMT and X-ray cervical spine etc to rule out coronary heart disease and cervical spondylosis.Thanks take care
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Aashish Raghu's  Response
Welcome to HCM

Good Day
It can be due to local problem like joint inflammation or arthritis but you need to rule out heart attack which can also present with left arm pain. The pain of heart attack can be anywhere from the lower teeth to the belly button area. Be careful and get an ECG and consult by your Doctor first. If it is arthritis it can be treated after taking X-ray/MRI especially if there is tendonitis or tear in tendon of shoulders as necessary. Stop eating junk food. Eat fresh green leafy vegetables like lettuce, palak, spinach as they reduce cholesterol. Eat oats which is also healthy. Eating oily fish has been shown to reduce cholestrol as well in some cases. Discuss this with your Doctor as per your laboratory tests. Drink 1-2 litres of water a day. Exercise by brisk walkig everyday to reduce cholesterol and keep fit.