Why am I bleeding after passing stool? Why is the stool in red and brown?

Hello, Since the last couple of days, after passing my stool , I have found that I am bleeding . The color left behind in the toilet is not red, but a darker reddish purple colour. I eat spicy food regularly but not daily, and a day before the bleeding started, I had actually some very hot food. I would like to know if you think the two are related or could it be a more graver problem. The stool color I noticed just today was dark, almost blackish, along with the bleeding. Thank you, Vinith
Asked On : Sat, 13 Oct 2012