White spots on hemorrhoid, seems to have shrunk, using preparation H. Meaning?

Why are there white spots on my hemmorrhoid? I started to put Preperation H on it a few days ago because its been more swollen and more painful lately and now it has white spots on it that feel like dry skin . And It seems to have shrunk a very small amount. Does this mean its either working or getting worse? I have not been to a doctor yet but all I know is it is external and thrombosed. (at least I think it s thrombosed because it has a dark purple part that looks like a blood clot)
Asked On : Mon, 28 Jan 2013