White spots on gums, lower lip, bleeding. Prescribed nystatin for fungus. Correct medication?

My wife is experiencing white spots in the lower gums and the inner internal lower lip that bleed when she applies pressure ... she says it hurts and is eating much less. We visited a dentist (surgeon) and he has doubts it is afta because it has gone on for over two weeks. He prescrbed Nystatin oral suspension three times a day... he believes it could be a fungus manifestation. We are extremely worried and would like having a second opinion. Please reply to YYYY@YYYY . Thank you very much
Asked On : Mon, 10 Dec 2012