White spot on the edge of iris, reddish painful eye. Happens frequently. Allergy?

I have a white spot on the edge of my iris, the white of the eye in the surrounding area is red and my eye is sore. I ve had this happen in the same eye before but in a different hemisphere. Sometimes it comes and goes and can be quite sore when it feels swollen. Someone thought it might be allergies, but in one eye? I never have experienced this with allergies before, but I go to college now in a different climate than where I grew up.
Asked On : Sat, 11 Aug 2012