White patches on the cheek. Diagnosed as leukoplakia. Have smoking addiction. No history of cancer

I had very recent dental work done a week ago and the dentist informed me about some white patches in my cheek that she thought I should have checked into by an Oral Path. I had the same phenomenon 30 years ago with no treatment necessary and forgot about it until now. I ve had other 2 dentists recently look at my mouth for teeth replacement and no indication of the problem, within the last 2-3 months. The dentist said it could be leukoplakia but I do not have any of the symptoms described under that condition with the exception of some hoarseness on & off. I am a pro musician and do sing a fair amount but not anything strenuous. There is absolutely no cancer in my family history and parents/grandparents died of old age in 80 s & 90 s. I am 71 and all my older 3 siblings are in good health up to 87. I do smoke the odd cigar over the past 40 years with no problems, or inhaling. BUT, I am concerned, nevertheless.
Asked On : Sat, 17 Nov 2012