White crust on toenail, redness around white crust

Hi I have a white thin crust on the side of my toenail (on the skin of my large toe) I can see another developping on the toe on my other foot . redness around the skin of the white crust and underneath the crust (sort of behind the nail - there s a gap - and when I squeezed it, puss came out.) I thank you for your time!
Asked On : Tue, 24 Apr 2012

You seem to have developed an infective focus over your feet.

Now firstly I would advise you to keep the area clean and dry as much as possible.
Do not apply any kind of moisturizing creams/lotions or oil over the affected area.
Clean the area with lukewarm water twice a day and apply an antibiotic cream over the area twice daily.

If inspite of the above measures, the lesion persists or continues to increase in size, then you might need a course of oral antibiotics along with pain killers.

In that case, I would advise you to visit a dermatologist for proper assessment and treatment.

Hope it helps
Best wishes for a speedy recovery
Dr Geetika Paul