White, cotton like texture in belly button. Is it some kind of infection?

Hello doctor,My question is regarding infection in belly button. My husband finds some white thing, cotton like texture everyday in his belly button. It forms everyday even if its been cleaned properly. Is it some kind of infection. What should we do for that? please help.
Asked On : Sat, 13 Feb 2010
  Anonymous's Response

Hi.. Usually it is because of presence of too much hair in the abdomen and around the umbilicus.. those particles gets accumulated in the belly button due to friction between the particle in the cloth and the body hair.. It is not a feature of infection..However if left unremoved, it can cause discharge which could get infected.. 

Anonymous's Response

Thank you so much for the response. Was worried much about that. But quite relived now.  

so its ok that i have smelly stuff come out my bellybutton