Whipple's disease, is it hereditary ?

is whipples disease hereditary or known to be contagious within a family environment
Asked On : Wed, 12 Jan 2011
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
Whipple's disease is due to bacterial infection of the intestine which causes nutritional deficiency due to decreased absorption of nutrients. It is not contagious from man to man. Risk factors for getting the infection are unknown.
Radiologist Dr. Radha Narayanan's  Response
welcome to's is a rare systemic disease caused by Tropheryma whipplei.Immunity plays a major factor .people with less immunity are susceptible to this disease,No person to person transmission is noted.
General & Family Physician Dr. Jyoti Patil's  Response

Thanks for posting the query.

Whipple’s disease is a rare infectious disease, caused by a bacterium named Tropheryma whippleii. It can affect many parts of the body. The small intestine is the main organ affected. Other common areas include the joints, heart, nervous system, brain, lungs, eyes, and skin.

Whipple's Disease is considered infectious but is not transmitted from person to person. Generally, a disease like this is caused by an infectious agent and not spread between people.

Some people with Whipple’s disease may have a genetic defect that makes them more likely to develop the disease. It occurs predominantly in those of Caucasian ethnicity, suggesting a genetic predisposition in that population.

I hope I have answered your query.

wish you good health.

Dr. Jyoti Patil.