While I m trying to fall asleep I feel like I become paralyzed in a sense

I m not sure if playing video games right before going to bed is causing my problem but this is what has happened on 3 occasions now. While I m trying to fall asleep I feel like I become paralyzed in a sense. I try to call out for someone but I cant talk & I cant move. I can only moan. It last for what seems like a few seconds or so. Is the strangest thing! I feel like my eyes are somewhat opened so thats what makes me think I m awake. I cant quite explain it entirely but it scares me. then I have the weirdest dream for a few moments and feel like I cant wake up from it or like Im not totally asleep. I cant figure it out. I also cant fall right asleep. Its normal for me to fall asleep right away without any problems what so ever. I m thinking playing video games for a few hours could be causing it since its only happened on the weekend and each time I had been playing video games earlier. Im 48 years old. I would appreciate your opionion. I m thinking of telling my doctor about it. Thanks much!
Asked On : Sun, 30 Jan 2011

I think what you are describing may be normal as your symptoms suggest REM (Rapid Eye movement) stage or light sleep stage of the sleep. Please read this to understand stages of sleep

As to why you are experiencing this only now and not before, I can only guess....may be because of the excitement in the video games, you are not moving into the deep sleep fast as you would usually do. It is a fact that any stimulating activity (video games included) would increase your alertness levels and hence this may what's happening.

Would love to hear what other experts say about this.

Thank you for the reply. I have been watching videos on sleep paralysis on You- Tube, by professionals and their patients. They describe what I've been expieriencing, exactly. I don't think the video game is causing it as much as the lack of sleep I get on the weekends due to staying up late playing the games, then I get on the computer afterwards and do not get to bed until sometimes 1 or 2 am or later. I'm also famous for waking up early on the weekends so I'm suffering from lack of sleep and being over-tired which goes along with sleep paralysis. I do agree with what you said about the excitement of the game and not moving into sleep fast enough. it totally makes sense. Therefore, Im going to quit playing the game early, get to bed earlier and sleep in a bit the following days after. I'm hoping to see improvement. I'm also on Pristiq which I've been on for a quite a few years now. The doctors on You-Tube said anti-depressants are sometimes described for sleep paralysis. In my case it doesnt help, unless certain ones are particularly used for that. Again, thanks so much for your response.