When I could of spent my time at home resting and eating ?

This is my first pregnancy , I went to the doctor last week on friday and was 3cm dilated. the plug passed saturday around 0215, I havent had contractions; is it normal to not feel any pain and when is it a 'safe' time to go to the hospital - i don't want to go there and spend 20 hours doing nothing and not being able to eat when i could of spent my time at home resting and eating .
Asked On : Wed, 10 Feb 2010
  Anonymous's Response

Hi.. The contractions are going to occur at labour..These contractions increase in frequency and intensity as the labour progress.. Since you have passed the plug and the cervix is dilated, clinically you are in labour.. The duration of labour varies, and can last for more than 24hours in a few people especially during their first pregnancy.. I would suggest that you visit your gynacecologist and reconfirm if the cervix is dilated.. If it has been dilated as you had mentioned, it is better to induce the labour to avoid unnecessary complications.. Speak to your doctor or you may chat with one of the doctors available on this website for further a proper medical advise..