What will be the effect on a 90 years old person if she missed BP pill ?

90 yr old woman keeps forgetting to take her meds. She has missed 9 days of 19 days not taking blood pressure meds. What are the effects when she is not taking her medication?
Asked On : Fri, 25 Mar 2011
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
1. In old age there is already Isolated systolic hypertension in elderly or Pseudo hypertension due to stiff and non-compliant vessels (Osler's sign), thus make sure dose of the drug is neither too high nor too low.
2. sudden stoppage of BP pill result in rebound/accelerated hypertension which sometimes change into Malignant hypertension characterized by target organ damage (blurred vision, hematuria, hemorrhage in brain)
3. hypertension is also a Psycho somatic disorder so apart from body you have to take into consideration the mind part also. make sure low dose tranquilizer is also given.
4. In old age due to arteries been hard will result in less delivery of oxygen and nutrients to body parts, and as arteries become narrow,blood clots can form which can lead to fatal outcome.
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Ram Mani Bhandari's  Response
welcome to healthcaremagic
Please monitor the pressure. Its not good to leave the dose of medicine. it may be emergency condition if you dis continue the medicine,
take care
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul's  Response
senile changes in this age usually make one forgetful and then it becomes duty of the attendant to administer the medicine. with discontinuing of anti hypertensive medicine her bp may shoot suddenly and go unnoticed leading to certain compications.
Homeopath Dr. Anshita Singh Rathore's  Response

Welcome to Healthcare Magic Forum

Her blood pressure will rise. Which can creat other problems, related to her heart, eyes etc.

Blood pressure medication has to be taking each day, at (nearly) the same time.

Anonymous's Response
The complications like(stroke) are more dangerous than other complications by blood pressure itself.One may be suffering from blood pressure, may forget medicines too, may become absent minded where he took a dose or not, one may not have money to buy medicine at times, but blood pressure keeps a rise, and fluctuates from time to time and stress and exercise. This rise and fall creates complications.She must be helped to get a stable normal blood pressure for her age.Complications of blood pressure are always sudden, without a warning, or any symptom too at times.