What treatment should be taken for tooth pain ?

my tooth is hurting i have a toothache and i took alot of medicine what shoul i do now
Asked On : Sun, 3 Apr 2011
Dentist 's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Tooth pain arises only when the bacterial invasion occurs and it reaches to dentin and then to pulp.

After reaching pulp it causes inflammation and infection to your pulp tissues.

Sometimes periapical infection and abscess is also seen in chronic cases.

Therefore i would suggest you to visit your dentist soon and get the concerned tooth examined.

So that it can be well diagnosed and suitably treated,without excessive damage due to self medication.

Lots of pain killers have diverse side effects please avoid them on regular basis.

Hope it helps.

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Hello and Welcome to HCM,
Treatment for a toothache depends on the cause. If a cavity is causing the toothache, your dentist will fill the cavity or possibly extract the tooth, if necessary. A root canal might be needed if the cause of the toothache is determined to be an infection of the tooth's nerve. Bacteria that have worked their way into the inner aspects of the tooth cause such an infection. An antibiotic may be prescribed if there is fever or swelling of the jaw.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Tooth pain indicates infection in the tooth which has involved the pulpal tissues.
Such type of infected tooth need to be treated with Root canal Treatment to save it permanently.

I would suggest you to take tab Augmentin 625mg and tab Aceclofenac serratiopeptidase twice for 3-5 days this will definately subside your pain.

Antibiotics and analgesics will give temporary relief, i will suggest you to get the x-ray done & treatment of the tooth completed.

Hope this helps out.

Hello dear
Pain in tooth is mostly due to cavity or gum disease.Consult your dentist for complete check up.In the mean while you can take OTC available painkillers , and warm saline rinses.If clove oil is available just apply a pinch of clove oil with cotton plug over tooth.
Dr. Amit K. Gaba

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response

Hello there ,

Thanks for writing your query,

Tooth ache indicates bacterial decay or infection in the tooth that involves the exposed tooth nerve tissues .

such infected tooth needs to be treated by a root canal procedure so please consider getting the treatment done by consulting a dentist.

you may need an OPG radiographic examination done for your teeth to confirm the spread of infection or to rule out the exact cause of the pain and accordingly treatment can be carried out.

i would suggest you to start with a antibiotic and analgesic course consulting your dentist , which helps in subsiding the pain.

i hope this helps ,

take care.
Dentist Dr. Benley George's  Response
A tooth ache is due to an infection of the tooth. You have to get your self examined by a dentist and the cause should be determined. If the tooth is decayed it should be root canal treated and then capped or extracted and replaced by a prosthesis. Medication is only a temporary solution.
Dentist Dr. E. Bharathikannan's  Response
self medication without proper knowledge of the cause of pain will never help you cure the problem. visit your dentist soon , he will sort out the cause of the pain and treat you accordingly to the severity of the cause. take care.
Dentist Dr. Ankit Desai's  Response
u should see a dentist or at least call one if Sunday stops u from doing that and if the pain is excruciating.. After knowing the exact nature of ur toothache, its frequency of occurrence and eliciting a thorough history of ur pain, the doctor will prescribe u specific medicines and plan a treatment for u, as medicines just give temporary relief for toothache..