What treatment should be given to my mother for depression and infuriation ?

hello i am 23 years old female. the depression symptoms in my family are very prominent. my father committed suicide about 12 years back and this has left a very bad effect on my family. my mother is the one suffering most from this problem. sometimes she starts crying and these spells go on for weeks. for about five years now she has adopted another weird habit. she gets infuriated at any small thing and would stop talking to that person. this thing has now become a permanent trait. she is 59 years old and also there was a history of domestic violence. she is reluctant to go to a psychiatrist .. please help me, help me help her
Asked On : Tue, 12 Apr 2011