What treatment should be given to my brother for his behaviour ?

Hi, This problem is regarding my brother. He is 29 yrs old, single, from last 3 yrs he is a nuisance for us. He abuses us all day long, watch tv day and night, sometimes beat my mother. we dont know what to do? Everybody has tried but in vain, we talked to a doctor , he gave us some medicines and advice that we should not be harsh to him. we did but that not worked and we were not able to continue medicines as he was always around. My bro dont talk to anybody and from last 3 to 4 months he has not take a bath. we are thinking to admit him in some psychatric hospitals for proper treatment as we have not any other way and want guideance. Please help..!
Asked On : Wed, 10 Aug 2011
the condition in which ur brother is right now,he needs to be put on medications at the earliest and might require hospitalization if found unmanagable at home.dosage of the medications can only be decided by a psychiatrist on seeing him personally depending upon the mental status examination done by the doctor.i being a psychiatrist cum psychotherapist would strongly suggest u to take him to a psychiatrist immediately as he might become a danger to himself as well to others if kept without treatment.counselling might help once he is heading towards recovery,but certainly not at this stage.dr sudeshna .for futher query u might go

General & Family Physician Dr. Padma Saikia's  Response
Welcome to HCM.
It looks more like a psychological problem.You need to take him to a good psychologist and give him counselling.This will not finish in 1 or 2 counsellings he may require more.Better consult a good psychologist and help him get a life.
Good luck.