What treatment should I take for purple, sore and puffy spot on the lower lip ?

MY NAME IS BARBARA. I HAVE HAD A PURPLE SPOT ON MY LOWER LIP (IN THE MIDDLE OF THE LIP) FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS. MY DENTIST GAVE IT A LONG NAME AND SAID NOT TO WORRY. BUT, IN THE PAST FEW WEEKS IT HAS GOTTEN SORE AND PUFFY NOW EXTENDING INSIDE THE LIP. IT LOOKS LIKE I BIT MY LIP OR HIT IT HARD WITH SOMETHING. SHOULD I PURSUE THIS FURTHER AND SEE A DOCTOR?
Asked On : Sat, 31 Mar 2012
Hi Barbera welcome to H.C.M.F. as you have described it could be vitilego, as it is it is not harm full. but when there is ulcer you should immediately see a surgeon. thank you.
Dentist, Periodontics Dr. Arati C Koregol's  Response
Hello
Thanks for the query
As you have a history of 10 years with this lesion and as its condition seems to be acute now you have to take necessary treatment. So consult the dentist for needful before it progresses more.