What treatment can be done for urine reflux grade 3 in a 3 year old child ?

my baby is 3 year old she have youren reflix gread 3 an 4 pleas teal me what is the treatmint
Asked On : Tue, 29 Mar 2011
Allergist and Immunologist 's  Response
urine reflux is a condition where the urine flows back in the reverse direction.please get checked and evaluate the cause.You said it is Grade III,for this it only requires medical management &no surgicalintervention.Take care of your kid.Thankyou.
  Anonymous's Response
Hi welcome to healthcare magic....
I am sorry did not get what reflux u r talking about.
Probably you are referring to Vesico Uretheral Reflux (VUR) , urine reflux.
VUR is common among female babies and majority subside by their own by 5 years of age.
In males its usually secondary to an obstruction in the urethera called posterior uretheral valve, so look out if he has problems passing urine.
Depending on severity Reflux is graded into 5 grades.
Treatment for grade 3-4 reflux is chemoprophylaxis till age 5 years and if persists beyond 5 years surgery - uretheral reimplantation surgery.
Chemoprophylaxis means baby has to take low dose antibiotic usually cotrimoxazole syrup .
If VUR Reflux is grade 4 in both sides(bilateral) or grade 5, then baby should undergo surgery as early as possible.
Consult a pediatric nephrologist , take his advice , regular follow up is very important .
Please follow advice , else you can damage your baby's kidneys.....
thank you....