What steps should I follow to taper off from xanax 6mg per day prescribed for anxiety ?

Hi Doc , I need advice on how to taper off xanax 6mg/day. The reason for my high dose is because I have severe anxiety with agoraphobia since age 15. (i m 37 now) Plus, it s been prescribed for me off & on thru the years, and I m quite tolerant to it; my body just won t respond to less. Question 1. How slowly should I do this (days/weeks, etc) Question 2. By how many mg. to reduce current dose per day/week, etc. I ve only been taking this amount for 14 days now, and I still have 50 1mg pills to taper down with. I m afraid of potential seizures as a result of discontinuing. What dose reduction do you recommend & over how long? Any other recommendations on what could ease my withdrawal? Thanks!
Asked On : Fri, 24 Feb 2012