What should we do when a seizure occurs ?

I have epilepsy and nobody around me knows what to do if I have an attack what can I tell them to do if I have one?
Asked On : Thu, 22 Sep 2011
Hello.welcome.They should place you in open space away from objects so that you don't get hurt.You should be placed either on left or right side so that your tongue doesn't fall back and throttle you.Some soft cloth to be put between your teeth.good ventilation around you so that oxygen flow is not hampered.If the seizure activity is more than ten minutes then hospitalization is must.Good luck.
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
hi,Kayla wingard,
Thanks for query,
As you get epilepsy attack often,this is not proper and it should be controlled.
Ask your neurophysician to control your scizzebiters as there is possibility of some damage to the brain on every attack.
Never miss any dose of antiepileptic drugs.
Tell your relatives or friends when you get an attack, protect from tongue bite by keeping some thing in the mouth.
Protect from fall on the ground.
Make all clothes wear,loose.
Keep all limbs ell pressed when attack comes clothes and allow well ventilation.
Ok and bye.
Neurologist Dr. Shiva Kumar R's  Response

When someone gets seizure the most important thing is to avoid injuries by laying them down on the floor and clearing the things around them. Once the jerks stop place then to the side or in prone position to prevent swallowing one's own saliva. Do not give any metals or keys to the hands as they can injure themselves. If he does not recover in 5-10 minutes or gets another attacks shift him immediately to the hospital. Take care. Bye

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist