What should my BP be ?

What should my blood pressure be for a 53 year old male who weighs 232 pounds I just had my blood pressure checked and it was 161 over 95
Asked On : Thu, 6 Jan 2011
Dear Donald
Welcome to healthcaremagic forum...
Any systolic blood pressure (upper reading) above 140mm of Hg and diastolic blood pressure readings (lower one) above 90mmHg are abnormal, indicating of high blood pressure... However, the readings are modified by stress, anxiety and psychological factors...
A medical doctor who is recording the blood pressure is the right person to decide if antihypertensive treatment is to be used...
Your BP values of 161 over 95 are definitely in the higher range... Discuss with your treating doctor if you will need the antihypertensive medications...
Diabetologist Dr. R.Ravindranath's  Response
for a centurion(100kgs) by weight & half centurion by age like you,
BMI is important(your height is not given) calculate .it should be less than 23 at whatever your age,ht,or wt
your BP should be ideally less than 130 systolic the(the upper one)
not more than 85 (diastolic)
if you dont want to die of stroke,heart attack or sudden blindness
dont be a sitting bomb as you are