What precautions should I take to get rid of swollen toe due to gout ?

I m a male of 65 years old and have been experiencing swollen of the big toe of the right feet followed by severe pain due to gout or uric acid for two days which had been diagnosed earlier found in my blood . But unfortunately i lost the prescription but all I remember was advise of dipping the foot into hot water for 5-10 minutes Can u recommend me precautions to get rid of the swell and the pain? Your co-operation will be deeply appreciated.
Asked On : Mon, 13 Jun 2011