What might be the cause of barking cough ?

Hi my 4 year old daugther has a barking cough that comes at night. There is no fever assoiated with it just a cough. She also gets congested at night. I would like to know what might be the cause? I notice that a warm room seems to help aliviate the cough.
Asked On : Tue, 21 Sep 2010
  Anonymous's Response
I am a mother of a son that has severe allergies; at the age of two he started the same type of coughing spells as your daughter. It would be beneficial for you to ask you physician about childrens claritin. This is a non drowsy allergy medication for children. At night your mucus drains down the back of your throat causing tickling sensations that produce a cough, and if allergies are infact a possibility your child might be allergic to inside allergens more than outside ones. This will make her nose get stuffy or congested and a cough will adventually follow. Talk to her doctor about possible allergies making her cough and what steps for you to take in regards of providing her the best care. Best regards!