What medicine do I need to take to avoid pregnancy?

What should i do?My date of monthly period on last month was 8th feb.Till now nothing happen.What medicine i need to take to avoid pregnancy?
Asked On : Fri, 18 Mar 2011
Infertility Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HealthcareMagic
First of all confirm your pregancy by doing urine pregnancy test..If it is positive and u want to terminate u can consult your gynecologist regarding abortion pills.
General & Family Physician Dr. Tina Jacob Das's  Response
Hello there,
Welcome to HealthcareMagic. In todays world, one is given a wide variety of drugs and methods/devices to stop oneself from getting pregnant. There are combined oral pills having oestrogen and progesterone as well. There are progestin only pills.There are depos(Depo-provera), taken every three months. There are intrauterine devices, again impregnated with hormones as well, for a better efficacy,replaced yearly or even in 10 years, depending upon the type.Also, there are emergency pills available , first dose taken within 72 hrs of intercourse and second after 12 hrs. It is better, you consult with a gynaec about your needs and she would suggest you the best.Take care.