What medicine can I take for rheumatism that is causing unbearable pain ?

I m a 23yrs female. I ve been a Rheumatic patient since 13yrs. My father is (& my grandmother was ) a Rheumatic too. So my guess is I ve inherited the disease. I ve suffered chronic pain esp. in my calves, knees & ankles which sometimes spreads upto my pelvic bones. I get 3-4 red/purple rashes in my calve area just above the ankle which looks blood clogged & swellings in the ankle. It has been worse since I dislocated my right ankle. I was prescribed Penicillin shots four times a month for 3 years regularly. However, I d to quit after 1 shot as it was unimaginably painful & also because it prevented me from carrying out my daily chores. I couldn t bear the pain of 1 injection for 3-4 days, & to cont. that for 3 whole years was beyond me. Some docs advised me to move to a warmer climate to lessen the pain. I took heed & moved to New Delhi, India 2yrs back & since then there seemed to be an improvement as the rashes & swell did not occur again, but I still do experience pain that s intolerable. Long walks are a big NO,.. infact I can t even use the hands too often. As Delhi has extreme summer that makes it impossible to survive without ac or fan, I m the ultimate victim. Even sleeping under direct fan that is spinning not more than no. 3 is a killer. I need some very effective medications that can cure the pain. I d also like medication for my Dad who is 52 running with similar symptoms. Thank You.
Asked On : Wed, 23 Mar 2011