What measures can I adopt to reduce weight of my obese child ?

MY baby girl is 1 year and 8mos and she weighs 22kgs.She drinks 5-6bottles(240ml) milk and eat rice(2tbsp) 2x a day...How can i reduce her?She loves to eat flavored yougurt(ACTIVA) too..pls help,
Asked On : Sat, 16 Jul 2011
Dear Mr. Kent,

Your girl is definitely overweight, but I have found that a child's growth pattern often mirrors the growth pattern of one or the other parent who looked or grew similarly at that age. So, the first thing you need to check is to go to yours and the child's mother's childhood album and see if one of you looked like her. Then, see where the both of you were as teens. If the baby fat shed off and you both slimmed down, ask YOUR parents if they had to do something special to get you to that situation. If not (and I am betting that's what must be the case), then you just let it go, and believe that your daughter will also slim down as she grows.

Coming to the other alternative: if none of you parents were overeight like your daughter is, then it is a different ball game. You will need to get her to exercise - not in a gym, but on tricycles, trampolines, and stuff like that. Maybe, you might want to cut down on her food very, very slowly as of now. Slimming medications are a no no. You should try introducing salads and fruit in her diet in place of the milk and rice. Yoghurt is all right, but restrict this to 200 grams or less per day. Definitely avoid stuff like cheese, butter, chocolates, cakes and so on.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Taher (