What is the treatment for sore throat with difficulty in swallowing?

Saturday night I got a really bad sore throat . Monday morning Realized my tonsils were swollen and covered in white spots. I went to the doctor that evening and they told me it wasn t strep throat . I was thinking maybe tonsillitis , but I ve never had that before. The swelling is gone, but my throat is still a little scratchy when I swallow . They never told me what they diagnosed me with. Also I didn t have a fever, runny nose, or things like that.
Asked On : Sat, 27 Oct 2012