What is the treatment for lax les ?

iam suffering from lax les. what is the treatment for this? plz tell me. is it dangerous?
Asked On : Sat, 2 Jul 2011
Hi Meena, Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum.

I Would like to know few things here?, so that i can suggest you better,

1.) What is your height and weight?
2.) Do you have Burning sensation in your chest?
3.) Do you have Difficulty swallowing?
4.) Do you have chest pain?
5.) Since how long do you have this?

Lax LES is caused by a weak Lower Esophageal Sphincter which cause the Gastric Acid to return to the esophagus and cause burning sensation.

You should be consulting a Gastroenterologist so that he can examine you and do a Endoscopy, Esophageal motility test, Chest or upper abdominal X ray to confirm it. Once confirmed, the treatment will depend upon the cause.

In addition to this, you have to bring in some lifestyle changes,
1.) If you are overweight, lose weight.
2.) If you smoke and drink, QUIT.
3.) Avoid hot spicy foods.
3.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and Green Leafy Vegetables.
4.) Avoid tight fitting clothes.
5.) Eat smaller meals, six times a day.
6.) Drink plenty of water.
7.) Don't lie down after a meal.
8.) Elevate the head end of your bed.

Kindly don't panic and it is not at all serious. You will have to take antacid drugs as directed by your Doctor. Your Doctor will examine you and if suggest a Surgery to reinforce the lower esophageal sphincter which is called Nissen fundoplication. Your treating Doctor will know better.

Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

2 users find this helpful

Hi Meena
Welcome to HealthcareMagic.
The treatment depends on the extent and symptomology.If you have reflux symptoms you should take a course of proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole.You should get an endoscopy done to see if any cytologic change at the LES.
I advise you to visit your Gastroenterologist and get evaluated properly.