What is the solution for Social Phobia ?

Hello Dr. My daughter is having social phobia . Can y help me to solve the problem?
Asked On : Fri, 5 Aug 2011
welcome to healthcare magic
children should be dealt with very gently. children who have not been with other kids around for long due to nuclear families, protective parents or some fear caused by some event would need an environment to gradually help them build new friends, get along with new people.
a child psychiatrist can help you find the root the problem and give a clear solution after a detailed discussion.
hope this is helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Narendra Kumar MS's  Response

First of all, i appreciate your knowledge of a diagnosis as "Social Phobia". Social Phobia is an anxiety disorder. I guess Social Phobia is very much a common disorder where in the people suffering from it have a typical thinking that they might behave in an embarrassing way or they would be afraid that they are being scrutinized in any social situation. It depends upon whether it is related to any one specific situation or generalized across many situations. Also one should assess for whether there is any other condition along with it. Depending upon it the treatment may be planned. And it is very much a treatable condition. The treatment involves a combination of medications and therapy/ counseling which can be done by a trained mental health professional. I suggest you to consult a professionally qualified Psychiatrist for the initial assessment and the medicines and later the psychiatrist can do the therapy or your daughter can be referred to any clinical psychologist for the therapy part. I hope this answers about your daughter's issue. i would be glad to answer if there are any more queries.

Thank you and wish your daughter a good health.