What is the remedy for recurring stomach ulcers ?

Hi, I am 25 year lady and had stomach ulcer (few erosion found in endoscopy ) and was consulting an Gastroentologist. The erosion was cleared. I felt better for few days. So, I stopped taking medicine. Then stomach problem continued again. I feel pain of burning in my stomach and sour hiccup (sour water comes to mouth ). If I eat anything non-plain food like oily, spicy, sour food, I immediately, feel this problem. For temporary solution, I take sompraz tablet. Can I be able to get rid of this problem. Will you kindly, advice me, such that I can live in better way? Regards XXXXX
Asked On : Mon, 5 Mar 2012
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
your symptoms suggests of GERD ,its due to entry of stomach acid into esophagus.please ask youe doctor you have any condition like hiatus need to take medicine for some weeks .if you are not better with medicines ,you need to under go 24 hr PH metry and surgery as last option.
Hello XXXXX,

The treatment for gastric erosions/ ulcers etc. is long term. Also the diet modifications that were suggested to you must be followed lifelong.

The rush of saliva that you are experiencing is called water brash, that is, there is increased salivation to dilute the acid present in the esophagus.

This can occur in gastric ulcer or in gastro-esophageal reflux disease.

You can try the following suggestions to decrease your symptoms.

1. Raise head end of bed slightly.

2. Eat small and earlier evening meals. Eat at least 2 to 3 hours before bedtime.

3. Avoid chocolate, caffeinated drinks, oily and spicy foods.

4. Avoid citrus fruit juices and carbonated drinks.

4. Take one teaspoon Gelusil or Digene Gel 1 hour after a meal.

5. Maintain ideal body weight. If overweight, then exercise and cut down on calories.

Remember recurrent episodes of gastritis and pain need to be evaluated again by your gastro -enterologist. He would probably advice a repeat endoscopy. Proton pump inhibitors like Sompraz tablets need to be taken as a 6-week course based on doctor's prescription. They are not effective when taken in single dose.

Ask your doctor about treatment for H.pylori, a bacterium that causes gastritis.

Following diet modification and taking the complete course of treatment will definitely improve the quality of life.

Wishing you good health,