What is the reason for prescribing betnezol injection during pregnancy and will it have any effect on the fetus ?

Hi Doc , I am 29 weeks Pregnant and as of now all the scan reports shows that baby is normal. But i have been prescribed Betnezol Injection and have been taking it for last 2 weeks. They ahave asked mt to take that injection everyweek till 36th week. But i read online that it is a steriod and not good for the fetus and also leads to learing dis-orders. My doctors are not giving me a correct reason for prescribing it. Please advice if i need to discontinue the medicine.
Asked On : Thu, 16 Feb 2012
hi welcome to hcm.see no its not true betnasole injection don't produce any side effect to fetus on the contrary it help when there is possibility of premature help mature the baby's lung will help in baby's ability to helps to produce surfactant in the baby's lung which allowing them to inflate without avoid all your worries and tension.
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
During pregnancy steroid is not to be given but there may be some compulsion for your Obst for some problem to you or to your child.
Ask your Obst for the reason for giving steroid injection.
if require you may go for second opinion.
Ok and bye.