What is the reason for hair fall on my chin ?

hi experts, i am male-26,today morning when I wakeup I have observed that no hair on my chin for some part. I don’t know what is the reason for this.
Asked On : Mon, 28 Mar 2011
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon 's  Response
thanks for posting your query on healthcare magic
The problem most probably you are talking about is Alopecia Areata though ill have to see you personally to confirm the diagnosis.
Alopecia areata is a very common form of hair loss and is considered to be an autoimmune disease ie the body immune system which should target only foreign particles or infections starts fighting against ones own hair . It can affect men, women and children, and typically affects the scalp in patches. If the condition affects the face, or beard, it is called alopecia areata barbae.
I would suggest kindly see a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis and start the treatment
Sometimes the recovery occurs spontaneously over a period of time.
The dermatologist will prescribe some medicines including corticosteroids eg mometasone local application, oral medication systemic corticosteroids , drugs like levimasole and if doesnt control injections of corticosteroids in the lesion
Mostly it would recover with this treatment .Just incase the result is not achieved and it persists then we can cover it with hair transplant by FUE method
i hope i have answered to all your queries
Do post again if any doubts persist
God Bless

General & Family Physician Dr. Sumanth.P's  Response

It is quite common thing.

Mainly is seen with zinc deficiency.

Get a injection of steroid locally on to that area and you can see hair back by 2-4 weeks.

Hope I have answered your query.