What is the rason for dry cough ?

What is the rason for dry cough . even though I was using antibiotics past week i have still. it is suffering me a lot
Asked On : Fri, 25 Feb 2011
better you consult doctor and follow advice
you may need some tests to be done
blood test to rule out eosinophillia that may be cause of dry cough
irritation of throat and upper respiratory tract can give rise to dry cough
warm saline gargle and steam inhalation will be helpful
throat lozenges some time helps
specific medicines is required as per reports
get examined by physician and start treatment accordingly
thanks for your advise
Homeopath Dr. KOMAL vig's  Response
hello... cough is a reflex symptom of the body to remove toxins from the body..
cough continues for a week or two.. take stodal cough syrup 4 times in a day..its a homeopathic medicine
god bless
Hello Reddy, Welcome to HealthcareMagic!
Cough is basically a protective reflex & is of 2 types 1) dry or non-productive; 2) productive of sputum. Usually infective cough causes productive cough which is due to mucus. Dry cough may be due to irritation of upper respiratory tract due to pollutants, pharyngitis, acute or chronic laryngitis, foreign body, vagus nerve stimulation etc. You should see an ENT specialist for proper diagnosis & treatment. Meanwhile: 1) Steam inhalation, 2) Drink luke warm water, 3) Benadryl cough syrup 1 tsf bid may help you. Further antibiotics you should take after specialist opinion only.
Have a spirometry done. It will reveal lots.