What is the possibility of changing the mental balance after a therapy?

i have been in a relationship married for 15 years. he used to beat me first then he used to say sorry. but i felt that sometimes its my fault because i too shout at him sometimes. however, last couple of years it got worse, he stop me seeing my frineds, calls them prostitues. and also i have to get home if i\ go anywhere before 9pm initially then it became 8pm. if i come home about 5 mins then he wont open the door then i had to bed. Last incident i had was he was cleaning the kitchen, then he found some dirt which i left on the kitchen board from the bread toaster. he told me that i have not cleaned, i said what the just leave it i will clean when i can. for that he came and hit my neck once, he was not satisfied, he hit me so hart i thought i burst my ear drum... and head was aching for few days. After that one day i went to colleage for a short course i told him i have cooked everything that i will be home late, for that he was not happy he told me not to come so i went to hostal and then move out following day. he didnt ask me to come home immediately but after 1 week when he realised that i am not going back he start to beg now i have bought a house, but i talk to him, its been a year and 4 months since i left him. Somehowe, now we talk and he expects me to come home. i told him lets go on a holiday and see how you behave then will decide. when we went to america last month he was not very different, but a bit tolerent. he says he has changed, and i wind him up thats why he behaved like that. he asked me for no reason whether i am blind.. anyway he went for some therapy for 9 months... last year i was very sure of what i want to do.. which is devorcing him.. now i am confused.. should i give him a chance. most probably i m feeling like this because i am lone, i bought a house on shared owner ship and living here and have some problem with the house too.. Dr. what do you think i should do, will this kind of people change?
Asked On : Wed, 23 Jan 2013