What is the method of injection for anti rabies vaccine ?

Hi doctor which method of injection for anti rabies vaccine intra dermal or intra muscular is better?
Asked On : Tue, 30 Aug 2011
Nephrologist 's  Response
Thanks for the query

Intra muscular is better and please dont repeat the are each time u receive the injection, choose different muscles and ask for muscle u feel will pain the least. It can b e given to any muscle

Have a healthy living
Pediatrician, Neonatology Dr. Kathirvel Rajan's  Response
Intramuscular route particularly over the upper arms are better than gluteal region for good absorption.
Thank u
Thanks doctors it was a great help
Pediatrician Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty's  Response

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Rabies vaccine is given by intramuscular route.
It is given on the anterio lateral part of the deltoid.

In order to reduce the cost of the vaccination intradermal multi site vaccination using a fraction of the intramuscular vaccine are developed.

Only cell derived vaccines that meet the WHO requirements are considered for intradermal use.

Hope this helps.
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Intramuscular in upper arm is the standard..
(there were old large volume ones given subcutaneously / multiple site intra-dermal preparations - not available now)

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck