What is the medication for tonsils ?

Asked On : Sun, 16 Jan 2011
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hi, I am Dr Sonia S V. I am an ENT Surgeon & Head & Neck Specialist.
When we say tonsil problem it may be repeated infections of the tonsils creating pain or it may be enlarged tonsils affecting breathing and swallowing + contributing to snoring or it may be tonsillar concretions producing halitosis[bad breath]. The treatment for the tonsil problem depends on the exact nature of the afflication whether it is repeated infection, a one time infection or enlargement etc.Acute infections commonly require an antibiotic + local gargles.Reccurent infections may subsequently require a tonsillectomy.Also huge tonsils narrowing the throat may need to be removed.
All the best
Dr Sonia Suprabha Venugopal
Consultant ENT Head & Neck Surgery,Bangalore