What is the meaning of posterior uterine fibroid? Why pelvic pain?

I have been have increased pelvic pain over the past two years and recently had an ultrasound with the following results. The pain has been interfering too much with my work and social life. What are my possible options at 52 years old? TRANSABDOMINAL AND TRANSVAGINAL PELVIC ULTRASOUND CLINICAL INFORMATION: 625.9. Pelvic pain. History of endometrial ablation for adenomyosis . The patient is postmenopausal. TRANSABDOMINAL FINDINGS: There is anechoic fluid within the urinary bladder . The uterus is present. Within the posterior aspect of the uterine fundus there is a 4.8 cm hypoechoic solid lesion which likely represents a uterine fibroid. This is not well visualized. The ovaries were not visualized transabdominally. TRANSVAGINAL FINDINGS: Endovaginal exam was performed to better evaluate the pelvis and adnexa. The uterus measures 10 x 5.5 x 5.9 cm. The uterus is poorly visualized due to streak artifact and heterogeneity, likely related to the uterine fibroid. The uterine endometrium is poorly visualized. The right ovary appears normal and measures 2 x 1.5 x 1.6 cm. The left ovary is not visualized. There is no free fluid within the pelvis. No adnexal masses. IMPRESSION: 1. Probable 4.8 cm posterior uterine fibroid. The endometrium is not well visualized due to this fibroid.
Asked On : Sun, 20 Jan 2013